Register to vote!
NPR’s expanded coverage of U.S. latest news from Congress and the White House, and elections.
- For GOP, Obama's 'Very Ideological' Speech Not Wearing Well January 22, 2013If President Obama's second inaugural speech did anything for conservatives, it was to reaffirm their suspicion of the president as an unreconstructed liberal. After a day of reflection, former vice presidential opponent Paul Ryan said it showed Obama as a "proud and confident liberal progressive."Frank James
- Resolute Rhetoric: Obama's Confident Case For Government January 21, 2013Though wrung of much of the drama of his historic first inauguration, President Obama's efficient, specific and, at times, soaring address outshone his first with allusions to Lincoln, King and Kennedy. Speech experts and presidential historians weigh in on Obama's words and delivery.Liz Halloran
- 'Aggressive' Obama Defends Entitlements, Highlights Social Issues January 21, 2013President Obama began his second term with an unapologetically liberal inaugural address, calling on Americans to work together to preserve entitlements, address climate change and extend civil rights. Conservative and libertarian observers noted an "aggressive" approach to the speech.Alan Greenblatt
- As It Happened: Obama Asks Americans To Carry 'Light Of Freedom' January 21, 2013"Being true to our founding documents does not require us to agree on every contour of life; it does not mean we will all define liberty in exactly the same way, or follow the same precise path to happiness," he says. "But it does require us to act in our time."Mark Memmott
- Inaugural Trivia Quiz January 20, 2013How many presidents have chosen to affirm (rather than swear) to "faithfully execute the office ... "? Try your hand at inaugural trivia.Greg Henderson
- Dear Mr. President: Tell Obama Your Priority For His Second Term January 16, 2013In anticipation of Inauguration Day, NPR photographer Becky Lettenberger and producer Justine Kenin visited 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to ask Americans: "What do you want President Obama to remember in his second term?"Becky Lettenberger
- Saying No To The Inauguration January 16, 2013For some Americans, next week's inauguration is a time to protest, not celebrate, the beginning of a second term for President Obama.Linton Weeks
- Obama (Officially) Wins! Electoral College Votes Tallied Before Congress January 4, 2013On Friday, it was confirmed that President Obama won the election with 332 electoral votes tallied in his column. Of course this is old news. But the formal count mandated by the Constitution took place before a joint session of Congress, heavy on ceremony and light on attendance.Tamara Keith
- Not Your Father's (Or Mother's) Congress December 31, 2012Despite what has been called a status quo election, the 113th Congress will bring with it generational changes and some history, including the first all-female delegation for a state, and the fewest number of military veterans since World War II. Here are some of the noteworthy newcomers.Greg Henderson
- Romney Didn't Want To Run, Son Says December 24, 2012The 2012 Republican presidential nominee had to be convinced by his family to get into the race, his son tells the Boston Globe. "He wanted to be president less than anyone I've met in my life," Tagg Romney says.Mark Memmott
Share this post
About The Author